Skip to main content

Student FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions:-

Q. I don’t know Bristol – where should I look for property?

A. Clifton, Cotham, Redland, Kingsdown, Close to Gloucester Rd and the City Centre area are all very popular with students.

Q. How much does it cost to Register for a property ?

A. Registration is free with Bristol City Lets.

Q. Is there an agency fee ?

A. No we do not charge agency fees.

Q. How much does it cost to reserve a property?

A. Bristol City Lets do not charge a reservation fee. We will normally reserve a property for 24 hours.

Q. Do I have to pay the full 12 months rent?

A. Yes if you wish to live close to the University.

Q. Why should I pay quarterly?

A. The dates of your BACS transfer/Standing order payments for our managed properties are planned to correspond with the student loan regardless of the start date on the tenancy agreement.

Q. What is the deposit for?

A. Any damage to the property ‘beyond normal wear and tear’ will be deducted from the deposit at the end of the tenancy. If you look after your property, you will get your deposit back.

Q. What is a Parental Guarantor Form?

A. A parent must sign a form to confirm they will cover your rent should you go into arrears.

Q. What if I change my mind?

A. Once tenancy agreement is signed by everyone, should an individual tenant wish to withdraw from the tenancy agreement at any time they must find a replacement. Until they do so, they are still liable for their share of the rent until the end of the tenancy agreement. Agent/Landlord has to approve any proposed new tenant and has the right to accept or decline if not deemed suitable. Due to the amount of work involved (ie Liaising with new tenant, Liaising with existing tenants, New tenant checks, Guarantor checks, Right to rent checks, Deposit registration, Preparation & execution of new tenancy agreement, Serving & providing all other new legal documents required) administration costs of £395 will normally be charged & deducted from your deposit.

Q. Are utility bills included?

A. All utilities are usually paid by the tenants.

Q. What is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement?

A. The whole group will sign the same agreement for the 12 months and you will be jointly responsible for the total rent and any damage. The contract being joint and several is an extremely common clause. The vast majority of letting agents & landlords in the UK their contracts will be joint & several. (Meaning everyone is jointly responsible for the total rent and any damage)

Q. Can we have pets?

A. Sorry pets are not allowed & against the terms of the Tenancy Agreement.

Q. Can I SMOKE in the property?

A. NO SMOKING – All our properties & ALL landlords we act for are STRICTLY NO SMOKING THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE PROPERTY.

Q. What is night storage heating?

A. Electric radiators where heat is stored all night at a cheaper rate and released slowly during the day.

Q. Any other advice?

A. Buy an A-Z or use google maps, it saves a lot of time!!

Q. How do I view a property?

A. At least one of your group must either call us or come into our office to register and bring some form of student identification. We will then give you all the information you need to view the property.

Q. How can I reserve a property?

A. Your group must view the property together so you will be able to make a decision. We will reserve a property for 24 hours – no charge!

Q. Do I need a reference?

A. All Parents will be required to sign a Guarantor Form.